Bill updates and unpacking the FDA lawsuits
In this episode, Erin Hart, Megan Peterson, and Jess Braverman discuss the chaos and confusion around medication abortion, FDA lawsuits, and what you can do.
- The FDA-approved Mifepristone as part of a two-drug regimen for medication abortion in 2000 with unnecessary restrictions, but during the pandemic, the FDA relaxed rules allowing telemedicine access to the medication.
- After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, ending the federal right to abortion, an anti-abortion group went after medication abortion in a manufactured lawsuit Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine vs. FDA.
- Chaos and confusion, inhibiting access to medication abortion, is the current goal of the anti-abortion movement and lawmakers. This is impacting reproductive rights, but there are ongoing legal battles and campaigns to support reproductive freedom.
- Providers are working hard to keep abortion accessible in Minnesota, but removing old laws and passing new protective acts is necessary to provide additional protections for patients and providers.
- What can you do? Contact your legislators to pass the Reproductive Freedom Codification Act repealing Minnesota’s abortion restrictions and the Reproductive Freedom Defense Act protecting patients and providers.
- …and donuts.
About The Gender Justice Brief
The Gender Justice Brief is hosted by Erin Hart, Communications Director at Gender Justice, and produced by Gunther Michael Jahnl and Audra Grigus.
Visit Gender Justice and UnRestrict Minnesota.
- Legislative Session 2023 Wrap Up!
- The Road to UnRestricting Minnesota
- Christy Hall: 10 years of success at Gender Justice
- Introducing Monica Meyer, Political Director at Gender Justice
- North Dakota Update: Part 1
- Virtual Briefing: Unpacking Medication Abortion Rulings
- Legislative Session update & a decisive victory
- Legislative Session Update
- ICYMI: SCOTUS Chat – what’s on the docket?
- Landmark legal decision in Cooper v USA Powerlifting