Menstrual Equity Legislation
In this episode, Erin Hart and Erica Soloman (Exec. Director at NCJW MN) discuss HF44, the Menstrual Equity Bill.
NCJW Minnesota is pushing for the “menstrual equity bill” (HF 44 and SF 50) to fund menstrual products in public and charter schools.
One in five students experiences “period poverty,” and many miss class without access to menstrual products.
NCJW Minnesota has distributed over 200,000 menstrual products since 2018 but seeks a systemic solution.
The bill has bipartisan support but faced opposition and transphobic language. High school graduates, organizations, and Girl Scouts testified in support.
NCJW Minnesota is also part of the Communities Combating Hate coalition working on legislation against hate crimes and bias incidents.
You can read HF44 here and find NCJW MN here.
About The Gender Justice Brief
The Gender Justice Brief is hosted by Erin Hart, Communications Director at Gender Justice, and produced by Gunther Michael Jahnl and Audra Grigus.
Visit Gender Justice and UnRestrict Minnesota.
- Legislative Session update & a decisive victory
- Legislative Session Update
- ICYMI: SCOTUS Chat – what’s on the docket?
- Landmark legal decision in Cooper v USA Powerlifting
- Organizing for Reproductive Freedom
- The Trans Refuge Bill
- Medication Abortion in Jeopardy?
- Special episode: PRO Act Vote Update
- How Religion is being used to expand and limit civil rights
- More legislation moving & the 50th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade