Menstrual Equity Legislation
In this episode, Erin Hart and Erica Soloman (Exec. Director at NCJW MN) discuss HF44, the Menstrual Equity Bill.
NCJW Minnesota is pushing for the “menstrual equity bill” (HF 44 and SF 50) to fund menstrual products in public and charter schools.
One in five students experiences “period poverty,” and many miss class without access to menstrual products.
NCJW Minnesota has distributed over 200,000 menstrual products since 2018 but seeks a systemic solution.
The bill has bipartisan support but faced opposition and transphobic language. High school graduates, organizations, and Girl Scouts testified in support.
NCJW Minnesota is also part of the Communities Combating Hate coalition working on legislation against hate crimes and bias incidents.
About The Gender Justice Brief
The Gender Justice Brief is hosted by Erin Hart, Communications Director at Gender Justice, and produced by Gunther Michael Jahnl and Audra Grigus.
- Medication Abortion Lawsuits Update
- North Dakota Health Care Ban Lawsuit
- Community Organizing
- Anderson v Thrifty White: Defending the Right to Emergency Contraception
- Back to School: Know Your Rights
- Pregnancy and Pumping Rights
- Unpacking the Supreme Court Ruling in 303 Creative v Elenis
- One Year Without Roe: Reflections on the Anniversary of the Dobbs Decision
- North Dakota Update Part Two: Abortion Rights
- Transgender Rights in Government Custody: A Landmark Settlement