North Dakota Update: Part 1
Erin Hart welcomes Christina Sambor, new North Dakota State Director for Gender Justice, and Megan Peterson, Gender Justice Executive Director, to discuss the political climate in North Dakota and recent legislation and rhetoric targeting the transgender community and LGBTQ rights.
A discussion of the discriminatory nature of the conversation surrounding LGBTQ+ rights in North Dakota’s conservative political circles.
Highlighting the passage of bills that protect trans and reproductive healthcare rights in Minnesota, but also the challenges faced nationally by doctors and teachers in public service, who face an onslaught of political overreach into their professions.
The danger of “medical freedom” rhetoric is discussed, and the episode explores the personal beliefs of lawmakers and the lack of evidence provided by supporters of the anti-trans bills.
The importance of reclaiming the narrative and valuing individual freedoms, especially in predominantly conservative states like North Dakota.
HB 1254, which prohibits gender-affirming care and criminalizes doctors who perform such care, was signed into law with a broad “grandfather clause” that may not protect those currently receiving treatment
About The Gender Justice Brief
The Gender Justice Brief is hosted by Erin Hart, Communications Director at Gender Justice, and produced by Gunther Michael Jahnl and Audra Grigus.
Visit Gender Justice and UnRestrict Minnesota.
- Legislative Session 2023 Wrap Up!
- The Road to UnRestricting Minnesota
- Christy Hall: 10 years of success at Gender Justice
- Introducing Monica Meyer, Political Director at Gender Justice
- Bill updates and unpacking the FDA lawsuits
- Virtual Briefing: Unpacking Medication Abortion Rulings
- Legislative Session update & a decisive victory
- Legislative Session Update
- ICYMI: SCOTUS Chat – what’s on the docket?
- Landmark legal decision in Cooper v USA Powerlifting