Tips For Your Facebook Fundraiser
It takes our incredible community – full of friends like you – to advance gender equity and break down barriers in our state.
Hosting a Facebook birthday fundraiser is simple, takes less than five minutes to set up, and is a great way to get your friends and networks involved in the issues you care about.
Here’s how 👇
First, do some initial planning.
Ask yourself – why are you inspired to raise money for Gender Justice? What is it about our work, particular programs, or cases that speak to you? Let those motivations drive your conversations and planning.
Second, set a goal.
Wondering how high to set your fundraising goal, or how much to ask folks to give? Here are some helpful numbers:
- $15 – the current number of cases Gender Justice is handling
- $28 – the number of community partners in the UnRestrict Minnesota coalition
- $80 – the total number of clients we’ve served since our founding in 2010
- $500 – the cost to file a case
- $1,000 – the starting cost of a deposition. Each case we take on may require multiple depositions, sometimes as much as 5 or more.
THIRD, SET UP YOUR FACEBOOK FUNDRAISER.
- On your computer, login to Facebook.
- On the left, click Fundraisers.
- Tip: If you don’t see Fundraisers on the left, then click See more.
- On the left, click Raise money.
- Click Nonprofit.
- You can either:
- Scroll to find the nonprofit you want to raise money for
- Type into the search bar to find the nonprofit you want to raise money for
- Select the nonprofit.
- On the left, enter:
- The goal amount of money you want to raise
- The currency you want the funds to be in
- Click Create.
fourth, let people know!
Send invites – via text, email, Facebook messenger, or WhatsApp
It’s OK to be nervous about asking people to give – but don’t let it stop you! We hear all the time from supporters who received gifts from unsuspecting folks in their networks.
Next Level. Find out if your company or organization offers donation matching opportunities and ask them to match your fundraising efforts 💥
Fifth, thank everyone who gave.
Let people know you appreciate their contribution as soon as you see their gift pop up on your screen. People love feeling good about giving to a good cause and your speedy thanks will maximize those warm fuzzy feelings.
Here are some additional tips for inspiration:
- Be vulnerable with your friends, networks, and family about why this work is so important to you. Share personal stories as you feel comfortable.
- Monitor the donations and give updates on fundraising progress. Increase goals when necessary.
- Reveal “milestones,” and encourage sharing to incentivize giving.
- Say thanks! Be sure to thank your supporters early and often 💜
Still have questions? Drop us a line – we’re here to help!
Milestones of Progress
Our organization has celebrated some big wins over the years and we continue to grow in the ways we harness strategic impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and education to push the law forward when it comes to gender equality. Check out what we’ve accomplished, together.