Legislative Session update & a decisive victory
In this episode, Erin Hart, Megan Peterson, and Abena Abraham provide a legislative update.
Dr. Sarah Traxler, Chief Medical Officer for Planned Parenthood North Central States (PPNC), testified on the Reproductive Freedom Defense Act in the Senate Health Committee. Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade, PPNCS has seen a 13% increase in patients coming from out of the region for abortion and a 40% increase in second-trimester abortions.
Efforts to pass SF 165, the Reproductive Freedom Defense Act, continue. This bill is to ensure that all Minnesotans have access to reproductive healthcare and that healthcare providers are protected in providing essential healthcare services.
The Reproductive Freedom Defense Act passed the Minnesota House on Monday with 68 “yes” and 62 “no” votes. The movement cannot be stopped, and Minnesota will have the back of providers and patients who need to come here to get care.
We also discuss the Trans Refuge Bill, which passed by the Minnesota House early Friday morning. The bill was led by Representative Finke, who spoke passionately about the importance of passing the bill.
The bill has also been heard by the Senate Judiciary, and Public Safety Committee and hopefully is on a pathway to reach the governor’s desk this year.
About The Gender Justice Brief
The Gender Justice Brief is hosted by Erin Hart, Communications Director at Gender Justice, and produced by Gunther Michael Jahnl and Audra Grigus.
Visit Gender Justice and UnRestrict Minnesota.
- Legislative Session 2023 Wrap Up!
- The Road to UnRestricting Minnesota
- Christy Hall: 10 years of success at Gender Justice
- Introducing Monica Meyer, Political Director at Gender Justice
- North Dakota Update: Part 1
- Bill updates and unpacking the FDA lawsuits
- Virtual Briefing: Unpacking Medication Abortion Rulings
- Legislative Session Update
- ICYMI: SCOTUS Chat – what’s on the docket?
- Landmark legal decision in Cooper v USA Powerlifting