Medication Abortion Lawsuits Update
In this episode of The Gender Justice Brief podcast, Erin Hart, Communications Director at Gender Justice, hosts a discussion with Jess Braverman, Legal Director at Gender Justice, and Minnesota State Senator Erin Maye Quade, Special Projects Advisor. This episode focuses on the complex topic of FDA medication abortion lawsuits and their potential impact on reproductive rights.
Senator Maye Quade delved into the importance of mifepristone, a key component in medication abortion alongside misoprostol, emphasizing their combined efficacy, with mifepristone boasting a remarkable 99.6% success rate for safe pregnancy termination.
Jess Braverman navigated the intricate FDA timeline related to mifepristone, dating back to its approval in 2000, which sparked legal battles over the years.
Recent pivotal rulings in April 2023 emerged from Texas and Washington, stirring controversy regarding mifepristone’s accessibility. Notably, the Supreme Court temporarily intervened, pausing any regulatory changes during the ongoing legal saga.
The conversation dissected the August ruling from the Fifth Circuit Court, which pertained to doctors’ “standing” in the case and its potential impact on mifepristone’s availability. Ultimately, the legal battle carries far-reaching implications on reproductive rights, extending beyond Minnesota’s borders.
Erin also addressed the peculiar claim that doctors suffer an “aesthetic injury” when patients opt for abortions.
- April 17, 2023: Bill updates and unpacking the FDA lawsuits
- April 10, 2023: Virtual Briefing: Unpacking Medication Abortion Rulings
- February 13, 2023: Medication Abortion in Jeopardy?
About The Gender Justice Brief
The Gender Justice Brief is produced by Gunther Michael Jahnl of IQONEQ Communications Solutions and Audra Grigus.
- Gender Justice Saved My Kid: One Family’s Story
- SCOTUS Chat: What’s at Stake This Term?
- How Telemedicine Revolutionized Abortion Access
- Minnesota School Board Elections: What’s at Stake?
- Live from the MN Council of Nonprofits: Ana & Cam Kruger interview Jess Braverman
- Virtual Briefing: Protecting Transgender Kids in North Dakota
- North Dakota Health Care Ban Lawsuit
- Community Organizing
- Anderson v Thrifty White: Defending the Right to Emergency Contraception
- Back to School: Know Your Rights